PLACES IN PERIL
Encouraging ongoing grassroots preservation efforts in the athens, georgia area
While the entirety of Downtown Athens has already been recognized by the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic District, currently only the western end of the area lacks the protection and financial advantages of a local historic district. As a result, the area - which has a rich history of industrial activity, music and creative culture, and a hub for African-American commerce - lacks the same oversight, protections, and access to tax incentives as their eastern counterparts. This lack of protection, coupled with increasing financial pressures, requested demolitions, and unrestricted commercial development, has put this critical and treasured historic area at risk.
more information here
Nominators/ Sponsors: Drew Dekle and Commissioner Melissa Link
hot corner and west downtown Athens
357 south milledge
Like other Tudor style houses, the building situated on South Milledge was built to last and is distinguishable by its multi-panneled windows, half-timber exterior facade, earth-tone panels and overhangs. The building has been a home for the Beta Theta Pi chapter and Sigma Pi chapters at the University of Georgia until 2004, when the house failed to meet the Athens-Clarke County fire codes. Since that time, the house has been boarded up and suffers from neglect.
More information here
Nominators/Sponsors: Ellen Walker and Katie Waters
Constructed in 1916 by John William (better known as JW) Barnett, the Sandy Creek Pumping Stations was one of many improvements to Athens infrastructure built by the contractor. The Sandy Creek Pumping Station allowed the growing population of Athens to be sustained through its expansion of a reservoir and pumping station. Barnett designed an attractive building with Roman details and arched windows, reminiscent of the Athens City Hall. The station was in isolation until the construction of the Athens Greenway, where it now sits, neglected, but attractive, adjoining the pedestrian bridge across Sandy Creek.
For more information, see J.W. Barnett: The Influence of the Architect and City Engineer on the Physical Development of Athens, Georgia, 1889-1930. By David Charles Cullison. University of Georgia. On file with UGA ETD
Nominators/ Sponsors: Steven and Beth Brown, Daniel Epting
sandy creek pumping station
St James Baptist Church Cemetery
Located at 125 Roberts Road, the St. James Baptist Church Cemetery sits tucked away. Although there is no certain date, the cemetery was constructed during the 19th century. The African-American cemetery holds the graves of people born into slavery, graves of sharecroppers marked with hand carved stones, of prosperous families marked with granite monuments, of veterans of American wars, and others whose names and memorials have been lost to time. The area is overgrown, undermarked, and in need of additional care to ensure site security and proper respect to those interred within the site.
Nominators/Sponsors: Jeff Snowden
Located at 2865 Danielsville Road, this Rosenwald School sits neglected and threatened by recent construction. The Judia C. Jackson Harris School, once known as the Model and Training Institute, was one of the first suburban schools for African American children. After a fire burned the original three room wooden building in 1925, Judia C. Jackson Harris acquired help from both Black and white community members, and a Rosenwald school fund from Jewish Philanthropist Julius Rosenwald in attempts to make education accessible for African American children. The school was constructed and finished in between the years of 1925-1926. Often acclaimed for its upkeep of exterior, the most notable attributes of the school included the opportunities and materials provided and taught to the children.
Nominators/Sponsors: Chip and Dena Chandler
Model and Training Institute/ Judia C. Jackson Harris School